By Dan Garner, LMHCA
If you are wondering if you are addicted to pornography it would be best if you set aside the question “Am I addicted?” for a moment. You are going to find more clarity if you ask yourself the following questions and observe what feelings come up for you:
- Can I stop looking at pornography even with the best intentions?
- Am I bothered by how much I use it? Am I honest with other people about how often I use it or do I keep it a secret?
- Do I shut down emotionally around my loved ones because I feel ashamed of my behaviors?
- When I think about telling another person about what I have been doing, how often I’ve been doing it or what types of things I’ve done, do I feel frightened or panicked?
- Do I keep using pornography even though it is against my own personal values and morals?
- Do I think about pornography often during the day even though I’m not using it?
- Am I concerned about being found out and do I work hard to make sure I never will be?
- Are my loved ones neglected or do I ever sacrifice other activities and relationships that I love in order to use pornography?
Addiction is a problem that cannot be fixed in secret; if you really want to heal from your addiction you will need expert guidance, caring support and consistent encouragement as you walk away from old habits and learn to “do life differently.” Recovery from addiction is a long road with many challenging choices and lifestyle changes. At Recovering Hope we understand what you are going through now and what you have been going through for years. We can help you and your loved ones to find safe ways to communicate about this issue and new ways to work together toward a peaceful and healthy life. Please call for a confidential and free 15 minute consultation to discuss your situation and how we may be able to help.
In Tricities, WA
Pornography Addiction, Porn Addict, Sex Addiction, Sex Addict